Burn Restrictions

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: Camp fire burn ban and Residential debris burn ban have both been lifted in the Truckee area

CAL FIRE NEWS RELEASE - November, 2018: Burn Permit Suspension has been lifted in Nevada, Yuba, Placer, and Sierra Counties as of June 11th, 2018"

During certain times of the year, when fire danger is high, residential debris burning of dead vegetation is unsafe and burn restrictions go into place. These restrictions are usually lifted in the winter months however, homeowners should always check with their local Air Quality Management District before burning. For more information on debris burning safety, download an educational fact sheet


To eliminate the chance of a fire spreading, to reduce pollutants from the air, or if health reasons prevent you from burning, here are other ways to dispose of yard waste.

Burn Permits

Burn permits are issued to the public FREE of charge and allow for the burning of dry vegetation (NOT household trash) that originates on the landowners property.  You can pick up your FREE residential burn permit at the following locations within the Truckee Fire Protection District:

Burn Guidelines

  • Make sure your pile(s) are no larger than four feet by four feet in diameter.

  • Scrape a ten foot wide ring around each debris pile down to bare dirt.

  • Have a shovel and water supply (charged hose) close by to use in the event your fire escapes from the pile.

  • Make sure an adult is in attendance until the pile is completely extinguished.

  • No burning shall be undertaken unless weather conditions (partcularly wind) are such that burning can be considered safe.

  • You may only burn on “Permissive Burn Days” so make sure to call your local Air Quality Management District immediately prior to lighting your pile(s).


“It is imperative that landowners follow all requirements listed on the burn permit,” said the CAL FIRE Nevada-Yuba-Placer Unit Chief. “If a fire escapes their control, they can be issued a citation and be held liable for suppression costs and damages.”

Project Burn Permits

Project Burn Permits within the Truckee Fire Protection District may be obtained after an on-site inspection by one of our District Fire Inspectors. An inspection may be scheduled by contacting prevention@truckeefire.org

For burn locations outside of the Truckee Fire Protection District Boundary, Project Burn Permits can be obtained by contacting CAL FIRE at 530.582.9471, or the U.S. Forest Service at 530.587.3558.